When Katrina hit, it immediately became obvious that the Louisiana Gulf Coast would be in need of massive amounts of aid and assistance, not just for a few weeks,but for months and years.
Mike Boulan of No Cover Productions decided to help. Mike started by organizing this CD "Blues for Katrina & The McDowell Family"(NCP071) to assist local bluesman Odell's family. Odell Blues Boy "D" has 3 sisters who were living in the New Orleans area at the time Katrina hit - two families were in the lower 9th ward.
The call went out for musicians to come into the studio and over 20 bands and solo performers responded, donating their time and effort to the cause. They recorded 28 songs, mostly originals, for the benefit CD. (Which ended up becoming a 2 CD project) The songs aren't all about the devastation caused by Katrina, although a few are, but the energy and spirit of the performers is readily evident. There was a special energy in the studio over the course of the sessions.
The artists on this CD are:
1. Little Jr. Cannaday: "What Did I Do So Bad"
2. Big Shorty: "Gas Station Chicken"
3. Leonardo: "Love In Vain"
4. Erich Goebel: "City Blues"
5. "Lonesome" Dave Paul: "Mojo Hand"
6. Chris Leigh: "Voodoo Boogie"
7. Wailin' Dale & The DT's: "Out The Door"
8. The Tones: "Windy City (Willie Dixon)"
9. Blues In The City: "Freeway Blues"
10. Mary Thompson & The Delta Children: "Jelly Roll"
11. Bobby Murray: "Sunny Side Of Heaven"
12. The Billy Davis Rhythm Machine: "Katrina"
13. Travelin' Blues: "Nightly Things"
14. Louisiana Heat: "Think"
There is a companion CD, "Blues for Katrina" (NCP070) which is also available now.