Copyright Articles 1996 - 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Minnesota criminal law, criminal defense, Divorce, custody, Lawyers

Subsequently Born Children in Minnesota  


 General Info

About this Site


Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions


Business & Corporate Law

Minnesota Franchise Law

Freedom of Information Act


Criminal Defense Center

DWI Center


Minnesota Divorce

Collaborative Law


Estate Planning Center


Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center

Minnesota Lawyers  
Ofc. 612.240.8005  
Suite 700  
5775 Wayzata Boulevard  
St. Louis Park, MN 55416  



What are Non-Joint Children and How Are They Calculated?
Minnesota nonjoint children for child support, lawyers, attorneys

What happens if I have children from a second marriage?  This is a big change from previous child support laws in Minnesota.  Minnesota now allows for a deduction based on nonjoint children which includes subsequently born children.  The deduction is capped at two children and includes natural children or children that are adopted. It does not include step children that are not adopted.  This is codified in Minnesota Statutes Section 518A.33 which provides in pertinent part, as follows: 



When either or both parents are legally responsible for a nonjoint child, a deduction for this obligation shall be calculated under this section if:


  1. the nonjoint child primarily resides in the parent's household; and

  2. the parent is not obligated to pay basic child support for the nonjoint child to the other parent or a legal custodian of the child under an existing child support order.

The court shall use the guidelines to determine the basic child support obligation for the nonjoint child or children by using the gross income of the parent for whom the deduction is being calculated and the number of nonjoint children primarily residing in the parent's household. If the number of nonjoint children to be used for the determination is greater than two, the determination must be made using the number two instead of the greater number    


The deduction for nonjoint children is 50 percent of the guideline amount determined by the child support guidelines based on the payers income.

For a consultation call (612) 240-8005

Call (612) 240-8005 for a Consultation

Minnesota Divorce Institute

ASK-A-LAWYER questions
Ask-A-Lawyer your legal question

Family Law Articles
Review legal articles

Divorce Bulletin Board
Ask a question or review postings on our Family Law Bulletin Board

Divorce Blogger
Review proposed bills, case law and other information that may affect the divorce and family laws in Minnesota

Divorce Links
Review links to Divorce and Family Law Resources including Men's and Women's Rights

Minnesota Divorce Laws
Review Minnesota's Divorce and Paternity laws

Divorce Forms
A comprehensive listing of divorce and divorce related forms.


About this Site  |  Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions  |  Business & Corporate Law  |  Minnesota Franchise Law  |  Freedom of Information Act  |  Criminal Defense Center  |  DWI Center  |  Minnesota Divorce  |  Collaborative Law  |  Estate Planning Center  |  Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center


Any information contained on this site is general in nature. You should not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact an attorney in your state.

Any Lawyers referred have indicated the geographic area and the areas of law in which they will accept referrals. This site makes no investigation into the referral attorney's particular abilities to handle the Client's legal matter. Before employing the attorney, the Client should interview the attorney and make whatever investigation the Client feels is appropriate into the attorney's qualifications to handle the Client's legal matter.

Minnesota Lawyers

Sign In

 Sign In