Copyright Articles 1996 - 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Minnesota criminal law, criminal defense, Divorce, custody, Lawyers

Records in Juvenile Cases 


 General Info

About this Site


Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions


Business & Corporate Law

Minnesota Franchise Law

Freedom of Information Act


Criminal Defense Center

DWI Center


Minnesota Divorce

Collaborative Law


Estate Planning Center


Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center

Minnesota Lawyers  
Ofc. 612.240.8005  
Suite 700  
5775 Wayzata Boulevard  
St. Louis Park, MN 55416  



Minnesota juvenile records not private records
Minnesota Juvenile Crimes and Juvenile Courts

Many people believe that juvenile offenses are not serious and that they are extinguished or sealed when a juvenile reaches the age of 18.  Unfortunately, that is not correct.  A juvenile record can be long lasting and it can have a significant impact on a juvenile's ability to find employment or rent apartments as an adult.

Certification as an Adult. 

Some juvenile records are certified to adult court automatically by operation of law.  For example, any first degree murder conviction is certified to adult court.

Certification to adult court may also occur based on a motion from the prosecution.  Juveniles over the age of 13 can be certified into adult court when the prosecutor files a motion for adult certification in a felony case.  That is often the case in matters involving criminal sexual conduct, assault or murder.  Having experienced counsel to combat that certification can mean the difference between an indefinite criminal record and a record that is sealed to the public or only partially accessible.

A DWI case is also treated as an adult criminal offense if the juvenile is age 16 or 17 and charged with another misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor traffic violation simultaneously.

Traffic offenses for juveniles ages 16 or 17 are also under adult court jurisdiction  pursuant to Minnesota Statutes Sec. 2560B.163, Subd. 1.

Predator/Sex Offenses Require Public Registration

Any court order requiring registration of a juvenile ages 16 or 17 as a sexual offender is a public record.  If the juvenile is considered a level 3 sexual offender, the registration record is also public. So too is a juvenile order certifying a juvenile as an adult and convicted of a requisite felony. 

Public Hearings in Juvenile Court

Although juvenile hearings are often private, some proceedings are open to the public.  Specifically, proceedings are open to the public for any 16 or 17 year old charged with a felony offense or in any case where the court has extended juvenile jurisdiction (EJJ).  Motions may be filed by parties or on the court's own motion for some proceedings to remain private.  Having experienced counsel to shield a juvenile charged with a felony from public scrutiny can be an important consideration in any juvenile case.

Public Records in Juvenile Court

Juvenile records may become public records if a juvenile is 16 years or older and charged with an offense that would be a felony if committed by an adult.  This is codified under Minnesota Statutes Sec.  260B.171.  Interestingly enough, parents are often deceived when felony charges are reduced or dismissed.  If the original charge would have been a felony for an adult, any plea to a reduced charge or a dismissal would remain a public record.

Juvenile Records Accessible to Agencies  and Law Enforcement

Often parents believe that a juvenile record will not affect their children once they reach adulthood.  However, under Minnesota Statutes Sec. 260B.171 and Minn. Stat. Sec. 245A there are exceptions even for misdemeanors.  A court may always unseal a juvenile record and juvenile records are automatically accessible to licensing agencies such as the Department of Human Services.  A juvenile record may preclude an adult from working in the health care field, in a daycare, educational field, foster care or from possessing a firearm.  Juvenile records are also always accessible to law enforcement agencies.

School Notification

There are many juvenile offenses that require law enforcement to notify that juvenile's school officials.  School notification must occur when a juvenile is charged (not convicted) of a controlled substance crime including possession, possession with intent to sell or possession of substances with the intent to manufacture methamphetamines, possession of a small amount of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia or possession, consumption or purchase of alcohol.

School notification must also occur if the offense is one where protection of a victim is necessary. That may occur where assault, criminal sexual conduct, terroristic threats, harassment or similar offenses are charged.

For a Consultation Call Attorney Maury D. Beaulier at 612. 240.8005.  More than 16 years representing individuals in juvenile court matters. Aggressive and affordable.

Call (612) 240.8005

Juvenile Law Center

Ask a lawyer your Family law questions online

Criminal Defense Bulletin Board
Ask a question or review postings on our Bulletin Board

Criminal Defense News
Review just a sampling of our success stories.


The Truancy Intervention Project
Hennepin County

Residential Facilities for Juvenile Offenders
Office of Legislative Auditor

Number of Adult & Juvenile Probation cases by County
Minnesota Department of Planning

Number of Adult & Juvenile Offenses
Minnesota Department of Planning

Reported Number of Crimes by Category for each County
Minnesota Department of Planning

Download Minnesota Juvenile Rules of Procedure

About this Site  |  Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions  |  Business & Corporate Law  |  Minnesota Franchise Law  |  Freedom of Information Act  |  Criminal Defense Center  |  DWI Center  |  Minnesota Divorce  |  Collaborative Law  |  Estate Planning Center  |  Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center


Any information contained on this site is general in nature. You should not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact an attorney in your state.

Any Lawyers referred have indicated the geographic area and the areas of law in which they will accept referrals. This site makes no investigation into the referral attorney's particular abilities to handle the Client's legal matter. Before employing the attorney, the Client should interview the attorney and make whatever investigation the Client feels is appropriate into the attorney's qualifications to handle the Client's legal matter.

Minnesota Lawyers

Sign In

 Sign In