Minnesota criminal law, criminal defense, Divorce, custody, Lawyers

Do I have a Defense? 


 General Info

About this Site


Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions


Business & Corporate Law

Minnesota Franchise Law

Freedom of Information Act


Criminal Defense Center

DWI Center


Minnesota Divorce

Collaborative Law


Estate Planning Center


Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center

Minnesota Lawyers  
Ofc. 612.240.8005  
Suite 700  
5775 Wayzata Boulevard  
St. Louis Park, MN 55416  




Copyright Articles 1996 - 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Issues Related to Minnesota Drug Crimes


Intent to Sell


Stops and Searches

Diversionary Programs

Intent to Sell

Q. The police arrested me and found some drugs I bought for personal use and charged me with possession for sale. Can they do that?

The law does not require the police to prove you sold drugs in the past. They must only demonstrate that it was you "intent" to sell drugs. This is accomplished based on the individual fact circumstances of each case. Some factors that may be used to support the charge include:

  • Amount - A larger amount of drugs is less likely to be for personal use;

  • Packaging - If the drugs are packaged in increments which may be sold to separate people, it more likely to be "packaged for sale"

  • Paraphernalia - Items found with the drugs such as baggies, scales, knives, production chemicals, address books, sales records or other materials may be used to demonstrate and intent to sell.


Q. I live with four other people in college housing. We share a living room, bathroom, kitchen but have our own bedrooms. The police arrived with a warrant for one roommate and searched the whole hose. When the found some marijuana, they arrested all of us and charged us with possession. The police said it was "JOINT POSSESSION" because we are all on the lease. Should I plead guilty?

No, you should not enter a guilty plea. There is a very big difference between "common" areas and "private" areas. If the drugs were hidden in the kitchen for example and one of your roommates has a criminal history of possessing that particular drug, you may be found not guilty. If it was found in a roommate’s room, you should not have been charged. You should contact a lawyer immediately.

Q. My friend gave me a drive across town. It was his car. The police pulled him over and found methamphetamines in the ashtray and charged both of us with possession. Can they do that?

There is a common misconception that the owner of the house or vehicle is in control of any drugs found. POSSESSION is the ability to control the drug. One or more persons may have possession at the same time. As a result the police will arrest any person with ready access to the drugs. In such cases, an aggressive defense is necessary.

Stops and Searches

Q. I was stopped by a traffic cop for a broken tail light and, without permission. He searched the car and found pot in trunk. The police report said the cop knew I had drugs because he saw seeds on the floor in "plain view." Can they use the drugs in the trunk as evidence.

Not if you assume the fact that he did see the seeds. That would give him "probable cause" to search for drugs elsewhere. But did he seize any seeds from the floor to mark into evidence? Do you dispute his claim that there were seeds on the floor? If so, your lawyer might attack his testimony on the lack of physical evidence. In addition, there is the issue of whether you KNEW the drugs were in the trunk. You should see a lawyer. Any drug case has many issues that can determine whether you get convicted or the case dismissed.

Q. I was stopped by a traffic cop who said that the he knew we were smoking pot because my friend had a cigar that he recognized as blunt, Can he do that?

A blunt is a cigar or cigarette that is packed with illegal drugs such as marijuana. Often the police will use "there skill and experience" to claim that thy can recognize an illegal substance from an impossible range. Such claims are not very credible and the charges may often be thrown out for lack of probable cause.

Diversionary Programs

Q. I was arrested for possession of cocaine. Can I avoid having a conviction on my record?

Most Minnesota counties have diversionary programs to help first offenders and persons addicted to drugs. As part of that program, the defendant must participate in drug counseling, random urinalysis tests, seek employment for a probationary period. If you complete the program, the charges may be dismissed and a conviction will not appear on your criminal record. Whether or not you should enter into the diversion program should be discussed very carefully with a lawyer.


For Legal Representation Call Minnesota's Criminal Defense Leaders at (612) 240-8005

Criminal Defense Center
Return to Main Page.
Find Lawyers in Other States

Bulletin Board
Ask a question on our Criminal Defense & Bulletin Board

Minnesota's Most Wanted
Review Minnesota's Most Wanted

Ask-A-Lawyer your Minnesota legal question

Criminal Laws
Review Minnesota's Criminal Statutes including crimes and penalties

Check Driver's License Status
Check the status of your Minnesota Driver's License

Review links to DWI & Criminal Defense Resources including Blood Alcohol Content Calculators and Forensic Evidence

Criminal Defense Library
Review our reference library regarding issues related to your criminal defense.

Criminal Defense News
eview just a sampling of our success stories



How to Fight Your Traffic Ticket and Win


Winning in Traffic Court : I Fight MY...


An Educated Guide to Speeding Tickets :...

About this Site  |  Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions  |  Business & Corporate Law  |  Minnesota Franchise Law  |  Freedom of Information Act  |  Criminal Defense Center  |  DWI Center  |  Minnesota Divorce  |  Collaborative Law  |  Estate Planning Center  |  Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center


Any information contained on this site is general in nature. You should not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact an attorney in your state.

Any Lawyers referred have indicated the geographic area and the areas of law in which they will accept referrals. This site makes no investigation into the referral attorney's particular abilities to handle the Client's legal matter. Before employing the attorney, the Client should interview the attorney and make whatever investigation the Client feels is appropriate into the attorney's qualifications to handle the Client's legal matter.

Minnesota Lawyers

Sign In

 Sign In