Copyright Articles 1996 - 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Minnesota criminal law, criminal defense, Divorce, custody, Lawyers

Child Support: A Complete Guide 


 General Info

About this Site


Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions


Business & Corporate Law

Minnesota Franchise Law

Freedom of Information Act


Criminal Defense Center

DWI Center


Minnesota Divorce

Collaborative Law


Estate Planning Center


Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center

Minnesota Lawyers  
Ofc. 612.240.8005  
Suite 700  
5775 Wayzata Boulevard  
St. Louis Park, MN 55416  



A Complete Guide to Minnesota Child Support, child support guidelines and lawyers

Earlier in 2005, the State legislature passed new laws that will dramatically change Minnesota child support system. Those changes, however, will not go into effect until January 1, 2007. We have summarized the new law in a separate article. To review that summary, click here.

This article addresses child support as it exists under the old law and as it will continue to exist until 2007.


Non-custodial parents often ask if child support must be automatically deducted from their paychecks. The answer to that question is “yes”, unless the other parent agrees to direct payments. Automatic income withholding is prescribed by Minnesota law (M.S.A. § 518.551) and automatically occurs unless it is specifically waived by agreement of the parties. Automatic income withholding provides regular payments to a custodial parent. Regular payments, however, do not mean that they always occur on the same day of the month. In fact Minnesota’s child support collection system almost always seems to ensure inconsistent payments that occur regularly.


The amount of child support paid by a non-custodial parent is dictated by Minnesota Statutes (M.S.A.§ 518.551). It states that the court cannot use vague percentages in determining child support and must derive “a specific dollar amount” which is calculated by multiplying the obligor's net income by the percentage indicated by the following guidelines:

Net Income Per Month of Obligor Child











7 or more

$550 and Below Order based on the ability of the obligor to provide support at these income levels, or at higher levels, if the obligor has the earning ability
$551 - 600 16% 19% 22% 25% 28% 30% 32%
$601 - 650 17% 21% 24% 27% 29% 32% 34%
$651 - 700 18% 22% 25% 28% 31% 34% 36%
$601 - 750 19% 23% 27% 30% 33% 36% 38%
$751 - 800 20% 24% 28% 31% 35% 38% 40%
$801 - 850 21% 25% 29% 33% 36% 40% 42%
$851 - 900 22% 27% 31% 34% 38% 41% 44%
$901 - 950 23% 28% 32% 36% 40% 43% 46%
$951-1000 24% 29% 34% 38% 41% 45% 48%
$1001 - 5000 25% 30% 35% 39% 43% 47% 50%
It is important to note that the cap amount for child support is increased every two years. Currently, as of October 2003, the cap on child support is $6,750 (not $5,000 as the chart indicates).


Net Income is defined as:
Total monthly income less:

*(i) Federal Income Tax
*(ii) State Income Tax
(iii) Social Security Deductions
(iv) Reasonable Pension Deductions (usually up to 10%)
(v) Union Dues
(vi) Cost of Dependent Health and/or Dental Insurance Coverage
(vii) Cost of Individual or Group Health - Hospitalization Coverage or an Amount for Actual Medical Expenses
(viii) A Child Support or Maintenance Order that is currently Being Paid.

“Net income" specifically excludes:
  • INCOME OF OBLIGOR'S SPOUSE (but does consider spouse’s contribution to monthly household); or
  • OVERTIME INCOME, provided that:
    • support is nonetheless ordered in an amount at least equal to the guidelines for a 40 hour work week; and
    • the party demonstrates, and the court finds, that:
      • the excess employment began after the filing of the petition for divorce;
      • the excess employment reflects an increase in the work schedule or hours worked over that of the two years immediately preceding the filing of the petition;
      • the excess employment is voluntary and not a condition of employment;
      • the excess employment is in the nature of additional, part-time or overtime employment compensable by the hour or fraction of an hour; and
      • the party's compensation structure has not been changed for the purpose of affecting a support or maintenance obligation.


The child support guidelines create a “rebuttable presumption” regarding the amount of support paid. That means that they are used to determine child support unless sufficient factual information exists to rebut the fairness of the amount. Under current Minnesota law, it is very difficult to convince a court or a magistrate to deviate from these guidelines.

  1. Deviating Upward.
    As you will note, the child support guidelines have a cap at $5000 net income per month. If an obligor earns in excess of $5000 per month net, their child support is generally calculated based on $5000 net per month. It is important to note that the cap amount for child support is increased every two years. Currently, as of October 2003, the cap on child support is $6,750 (not $5,000 as the chart indicates). I use the terms “generally calculated” because child support guidelines may be exceeded if you demonstrate to the court a very high standard of living. Case law states that the child is entitled to the same standard of living had the marriage continued. In many cases our attorneys have convinced the court to ignore the cap on child support guidelines and to calculate child support based on the top percentage of actual income. In cases where an upward deviation is allowed, the obligor usually has income significantly greater that the guideline cap or the child(ren) have special needs medically or developmentally.

    Minnesota Statutes § 518.551, Subd 5(c) specifically allows the Court to consider the following factors when considering a deviation from guidelines:

    • all earnings, income, and resources of the parents, including real and personal property, but excluding income from excess employment of the obligor or obligee;
    • the financial needs and resources, physical and emotional condition, and educational needs of the child or children to be supported;
    • the standard of living the child would have enjoyed had the marriage not been dissolved, but recognizing that the parents now have separate households;
    • which parent receives the income taxation dependency exemption and what financial benefit the parent receives from it;
    • the obligor's receipt of public assistance under the AFDC program.

  2. Deviating Downward.

In 0rder for a Court to deviate downward from the guidelines, the Judge must make specific findings that the deviation is in the best interests of the child(ren). In other words, the Court must find that receiving “less” is “better”. Obviously, this may be a difficult challenge. Arguing hardship for the non-custodial parent generally does little good since the statute looks only at what is best for the minor child(ren), not what is best for the non-custodial parent. As a result, when seeking a downward deviation form child support guidelines, it is important to focus on how the deviation is necessary for the minor child.

In addition to the factors above for an upward deviation, Minnesota Statutes allow the court to consider, following factors in setting or modifying child support or in determining whether to deviate from the guidelines:

  • DEBTS. In establishing or modifying a support obligation, the court may consider debts owed to private creditors, but only if:
    1. the right to support has not been assigned under to the County because of receipt of pubic assistance or medical assistance;
    2. the court determines that the debt was reasonably incurred for necessary support of the child or parent or for the necessary generation of income. If the debt was incurred for the necessary generation of income, the court shall consider only the amount of debt that is essential to the continuing generation of income; and
    3. the party requesting a departure produces a sworn schedule of the debts, with supporting documentation, showing goods or services purchased, the recipient of them, the amount of the original debt, the outstanding balance, the monthly payment, and the number of months until the debt will be fully paid.

    Downward deviations are most often allowed where there is a pre-existing child support obligation or where the non-custodial parent provides a significant amount of the child’s care.

  • SECOND FAMILY ISSUES. Minnesota Statutes specifically state that the a person owing child support may not seek a reduction of a pre-existing child support obligation because he/she later has more children. The statute is unmerciful, stating “the fact that an obligor had additional children after the entry of a child support order is not grounds for a modification to decrease the amount of support owed.” However, the fact that an obligor has subsequent children may be use as a defense to a motion to increase child support by an obligee. In order to deviate from the support guidelines based on the needs of subsequent children, the trial court must:

    1. find the obligor's total ability to contribute to dependent children, taking into account the obligor's income and reasonable expenses exclusive of child care. The obligor's expenses must be:

      • reduced as appropriate to take into account contributions to those costs by other adults who share the obligor's current household; and
      • apportioned between the parent and any subsequent child with regard to shared benefits, including but not limited to, housing and transportation;
      • find the total needs of all the obligor's children, and if these needs are less than the obligor's ability to pay, the needs may become the obligor's child support obligation. When considering the needs of subsequent children, the trial court must reduce those amounts as appropriate to take into account the ability to contribute to those needs by another parent of the children;
      • make specific findings on the needs of the child or children who are the subject of the support order under consideration; and
      • exercise discretion to fairly determine the current support obligation and the contribution left available for other children, considering that the support obligation being determined should be in an amount at least equal to the contribution for a subsequent child.


Parties may not agree to a child support amount that does not reflect child support guidelines or that does not provide a reason to depart from the guidelines as set out in Minnesota Statutes. Child support is considered a right of the child, not a right of the parents. As a result, parents cannot agree to modify the child’s rights. It is considered by the Court to be the equivalent of having a disinterested party agreeing to modify someone else’s contract. Court’s review all stipulations related to child support and must find the necessary facts required under Minnesota Statutes before ratifying a stipulation by entering it as an order.

Agreements relating to child support that are not memorialized as a Court order are unenforceable. Moreover, child support cannot be determined retroactively except in cases of paternity. In paternity cases, the Court may reach back two years prior to the filing of a paternity action seeking child support reimbursement.

Though this sounds like a harsh result where parents are willing to agree on a child support amount, from a practical standpoint there are ways to ensure that most agreements reached by parents are ratified by the Court.
*Often it is just a matter of providing some additional facts or the correct language for the Court to accept an agreement on child support.


Contribution to daycare expenses is a child support obligation in addition to support set by Child support guidelines. Only certain qualified child care expenses are divided between parents. The child care expenses must be incurred based on the custodial parent’s attendance in an educational program or work.

Generally, daycare providers require weekly contracts even if the children) do not attend the daycare full time. As such, parents are often required to divide the cost of weekly daycare even though the child may not attend the daycare full time each week.

The costs of daycare are divided in proportion to each parent's net income after the transfer of child support and spousal maintenance, unless the allocation would be substantially unfair to either parent. There is a presumption of substantial unfairness if after the sum total of child support, spousal maintenance, and child care costs is subtracted from the non-custodial parent's income, the income is at or below 100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. The cost of child care for purposes of this paragraph is 75 percent of the actual cost paid for child care, to reflect the approximate value of state and federal tax credits available to the custodial parent. If child care expenses fluctuate during the year because of seasonal employment or school attendance of the obligee or extended periods of visitation with the obligor, the court shall determine child care expenses based on an average monthly cost.

Minnesota Statutes specifically allows a court to order the non-custodial parent to care for the child while the custodial parent is working. Though this may decrease contribution to daycare costs, the statute specifically states that allowing the non- custodial parent to care for the child is not a reason to deviate from the child support guidelines.


In establishing or modifying child support, if a child receives a child's insurance benefits for Social Security or Social Security Disability because the obligor is entitled to benefits, the amount of support is offset dollar for dollar by the amount received by the child.


If the court finds that the obligor earns $400 or less per month and does not have the ability to provide support based on the guidelines, the court may order the community services to fulfill the support obligation. In ordering community services subdivision, the court must consider whether the obligor has the physical capability of performing community services, and must order community services that are appropriate for the obligor's abilities.


Oftentimes it is argued that a parent is self-limiting his or her income in order to avoid paying child support. Minnesota Statutes do allow a court to “impute income” in select instances. Imputed income means the estimated earning ability of a parent based on the parent's prior earnings history, education, and job skills, and on availability of jobs within the community for an individual with the parent's qualifications.

Minn. Stat. §518.551, subd. 5b(d) specifically states that “a parent is not considered voluntarily unemployed or underemployed if the unemployment or underemployment:

  • is temporary and will ultimately lead to an increase in income; or
  • represents a bona fide career change that outweighs the adverse effect of that parent's diminished income on the child.


The Court may not require any parent to contribute to college fund or share costs related to post-secondary education. However, the court may order contribution to a college fund and or payment of college cost only if the parents agree on that issue. Once the agreement is memorialized by a Court order, it becomes enforceable through contempt proceedings.


Minnesota Statutes § 518.551, Subd. 5e specifically allows the Court to adjust child support if a child will be with a non-custodial parent for a period of time of 30 consecutive days or longer. This simply means that the court has discretion to order a reduction. It does not always occur. That is particularly true where the custodial parent can demonstrate that certain monthly expenses do not decrease in the child’s absence. (Eg. Maintaining a home, feed, clothing etc...).

Call (612) 240.8005

Minnesota Divorce Institute

Divorce Bulletin Board
Ask a question or review postings on our Family Law Bulletin Board

Divorce Forms
A comprehensive listing of divorce and divorce related forms for all states

Divorce Book Store
Review Books on Winning Custody, Child Support, Property

Divorce Links
Review links to Divorce and Family Law Resources including Men's and Women's Rights

Career Center: Find a job or post a job. Prepare a resume or have yours reviewed.

Financial Center
refinance, repair credit, acquire a credit report or apply for a credit card in our Financial Center. Click Here.

Business Links
Find a Minnesota business or a Minnesota business professional. Click Here.

About this Site  |  Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions  |  Business & Corporate Law  |  Minnesota Franchise Law  |  Freedom of Information Act  |  Criminal Defense Center  |  DWI Center  |  Minnesota Divorce  |  Collaborative Law  |  Estate Planning Center  |  Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center


Any information contained on this site is general in nature. You should not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact an attorney in your state.

Any Lawyers referred have indicated the geographic area and the areas of law in which they will accept referrals. This site makes no investigation into the referral attorney's particular abilities to handle the Client's legal matter. Before employing the attorney, the Client should interview the attorney and make whatever investigation the Client feels is appropriate into the attorney's qualifications to handle the Client's legal matter.

Minnesota Lawyers

Sign In

 Sign In