Copyright Articles 1996 - 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Minnesota criminal law, criminal defense, Divorce, custody, Lawyers

Minnesota's No Alcohol Restriction 


 General Info

About this Site


Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions


Business & Corporate Law

Minnesota Franchise Law

Freedom of Information Act


Criminal Defense Center

DWI Center


Minnesota Divorce

Collaborative Law


Estate Planning Center


Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center

Minnesota Lawyers  
Ofc. 612.240.8005  
Suite 700  
5775 Wayzata Boulevard  
St. Louis Park, MN 55416  



Minnesota's B Car - No Alcohol restriction after DWI 2

“B” Card – Restricted Driver’s License Law in Minnesota

Call 612.240-8005

Criminal Defense Center
Return to Main Page.


Bulletin Board
Ask a question on our DWI/DUI Bulletin Board


Ask-A-Lawyer your Minnesota DWI/DUI question


Criminal Laws
Review Wisconsin's Criminal Statutes


Review links to DWI & Criminal Defense Resources

A “B Card” is a “restricted driver’s license.”  The Commission of Public Safety is authorized by Minnesota Statutes Sec. 171.09 to issue such a license to a driver upon meeting certain conditions for reinstating driving privileges, after serial DWI or DUI violations. In most instances, a "B" card is authorized after three violations in a lifetime.

Based on the Department of Public Safety Rules, a person whose driver's license has been cancelled as inimical to public safety and who has complete chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation may apply for a restricted driver's license, a B-Card, provided that the person signs a sworn statement to never again consume alcohol.  "Never" means just that. There can be no alcohol consumption for any reason, whether driving or not. It cannot be taken as part of medication or even as part of religious service.  This prohibits even small amounts of alcohol as would be consumed at holy communion with wine, in certain cough medicine, in low-alcohol “near-beer,” and so on.  The restriction is quite absolute and exact: when a person agrees to the condition of a B-Card license, he or she is informed that the license is immediately canceled at the moment he or she takes a single sip of alcohol or consumes any amount of an illicit drug.   The B-Card restriction on no alcohol used to be a lifetime restriction. However, new legislation passed in 2011 and effective June 1, 2011, allows for the removal of the B card if the person has had a license for the last ten years with no new alcohol related infractions or B card violations.

A person who violates the restrictions of a B-Card will have their license cancelled.  This cancellation is significant since since, before the person can again become validly licensed with a B-Card, he or she must again successfully complete chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation. According to DPS rules, the rehabilitation process requires documented proof of alcohol/drug abstinence for a minimum period of:

  1. one year, for a person’s first rehabilitation;
  2. three years, for the person’s second rehabilitation; and
  3. six years, for the person’s third or subsequent rehabilitation.

Under the new ignition interlock provisions, a person may be eligible for limited or even full driving privileges with an interlock device installed in the vehicle. The time eligibility requirements are much shorter.

There are also criminal penalties for a violation. If the violation involves driving a motor vehicle of any type, it constitutes a gross misdemeanor crime. If it does not involve driving, the violation is a misdemeanor crime.

A notification of a “B card violation” and revocation is sent by mail to the driver’s last know address listed on his./her license. That revocation is effective whether or not the driver actually receives the notice.

A driver may seek a hearing on issues related to the revocation of a “B card” by requesting a hearing in writing.


Represent Yourself with A Qualified Attorney

Our law firm is known for aggressive and affordable representation. Moreover, with our success rate, we receive a large number of our clients through referrals from other attorneys and professionals. Our law office will be by your side from beginning to the end and you will always be well aware of the status of your case.

Attorney Maury D. Beaulier has been featured for his victories in the Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, and other independent news outlets. Call 612.240.8005 for a Free Consultation.

Minnesota's B Card - No Alcohol License Restriction- Copyright 2006; last updated August 2011

About this Site  |  Ask-A-Lawyer: Questions  |  Business & Corporate Law  |  Minnesota Franchise Law  |  Freedom of Information Act  |  Criminal Defense Center  |  DWI Center  |  Minnesota Divorce  |  Collaborative Law  |  Estate Planning Center  |  Minnesota Juvenile Justice Center


Any information contained on this site is general in nature. You should not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact an attorney in your state.

Any Lawyers referred have indicated the geographic area and the areas of law in which they will accept referrals. This site makes no investigation into the referral attorney's particular abilities to handle the Client's legal matter. Before employing the attorney, the Client should interview the attorney and make whatever investigation the Client feels is appropriate into the attorney's qualifications to handle the Client's legal matter.

Minnesota Lawyers

Sign In

 Sign In